Living Members of
The Former Ruling House of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, 1939-1945
Head of House
Friedrich Viktor, The Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1891- )
Wife: Margarethe, née Princess of Saxony (1900- )
Second wife of The Prince Wilhelm of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1864-1927)
Brother and Sister
Children of The Prince Wilhelm of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1864-1927) by his first marriage
Auguste Viktoria, Dowager Queen of Portugal, Countess Robert Douglas from 1939 (1890- ). Widowed in 1932 and remarried at Langenstein Castle, Baden, on April 23, 1939.
Franz Josef, Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1891- )
Wife: Maria Alix, née Princess of Saxony (1901- )
- Karl Anton, Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1922- )
- Meinrad, Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1925- )
- Maria Margarethe, Princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1928- )
- Emanuel Joseph, Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1929- )
Brothers of Father
Sons of The Prince Leopold of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1835-1905)
Ferdinand I, King of Romania, né Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1865-1927). Adopted as heir in 1889 by his uncle, King Carol I of Romania, and succeeded as King in 1914 on his uncle's death.
Issue: 6 children, including
- Carol II, King of Romania (1893- ). Renounced his rights of succession in 1926. Proclaimed himself King of Romania in place of his son in 1930 by an Act of Parliament. Forced to abdicate by the pro-Nazi Romanian government of Ion Antonescu on September 6, 1940.
Ex-Wife: Eleni, Queen Mother of Romania, née Princess of Greece and Denmark (1896- )
- Mihai I, King of Romania (1921- ). Succeeded as King on the death of his grandfather, King Ferdinand I, in 1927. Relinquished the throne in favor of his father in 1930. Succeeded as King again upon the abdication of his father on September 6, 1940.
- Elizabetha, Queen of the Hellenes (1894- )
- Maria, Queen Mother of Yugoslavia (1900- )
- Nikolai, Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1903- ). Deprived of all titles, military rank, and rights of succession by his brother, King Carol II of Romania, in 1937 as a result of his unequal marriage in 1931. Took the name Nikolai Brana. Recognized as Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen by his nephew, King Mihai I of Romania, on June 10, 1942.
Wife: Joanna, née Dumitrescu-Dolete (1909- ). She was recognized as Princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen by her husband's nephew, King Mihai I of Romania, on July 18, 1945.
- Ileana, Archduchess Anton of Austria (1909- )
Karl Anton, Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1868-1919)
Wife: Josephine, née Princess of Belgium (1872- )
- Stephanie, The Princess Fugger von Glött (1895- )
- Marie Antoinette, Baroness Egon Eyrl von und zu Waldgries (1896- )
- Albrecht, Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1898- ). Married unequally in 1921.
Wife: Ilse Margot, née von Friedeburg (1901- )
Issue: 5 children, including
- Josephine Wilhelmine, Princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1922- )
- Luise Dorothea, Princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1924- )
- Rose Margarethe, Princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1930- )
- Godehard-Friedrich, Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, born on April 1, 1939, in Koblenz.
Brother of Grandfather
Son of The Prince Karl Anton of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1811-1885)
Friedrich, Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1843-1904)
Wife: Luise, née Princess of Thurn und Taxis (1859- )
Click here to go to the main page.
Last updated on 12/05/03 .